Cork City Adult Art Classes with Visions School of Art:
Courses/Workshops for Spring 2018:
- ‘Early Visions’: Tuesdays 1pm-3:30pm, we will provide a new session – ‘Early Visions’ for pre-schoolers and their parent(s) to attend together; the children can engage in creative games and art-projects (a new batch each week), and the parents have the option of participating in the art-making too (or they can take a break and have a tea/coffee and a chat with other parents at a separate table). This is a great opportunity not only to have your pre-schoolers develop their creativity, but also to get in touch with your own inner-child, which is actually the same thing as the creative self. Do you find it hard to get into a playful state-of-mind sometimes? The session will allow you to do so (or take a break for a coffee/tea and a chat), and also accompany your children in their creative development at the same time (though your pre-schoolers may be too absorbed in their own projects to offer you quality time during the sessions:) Session is facilitated by Andrew Carroll, who has a Level 8 qualification in group arts facilitation and has volunteered at The Ark Cultural Centre for Children, Temple Bar, where he completed his Keeping Children Safe certificate. Andrew has been told for years that he has a deep natural ability with children and so he is the perfect host for these sessions. EUR240 per 8-weeks for one child and one parent, and EUR350 to for a second child or parent to attend (please enquire for fees for a different configuration). Begins 24th April’18.
- Life Drawing Practice Sessions: Mondays 7-9pm, €50 per 5 sessions, to be taken within 6 weeks, for flexibility; you can also drop in for EUR20 – unemployed and students can drop-in for EUR10, upon presentation of a valid student/social services card, or they can pay EUR40 for the 5-session option, outlined above. Sessions can be joined at any time, provided there is space available – just email to inquire: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the sessions, click here. Please note that these sessions continue throughout the Summer months until 14th of August, and recommence in early September.
- The Artist’s Way: (Based on the Book by Julia Cameron). A 12-week course in ‘artistic recovery’ or unblocking, a revitalisation of participants’ personal creative process. Next start date is 10th of May. The group will be facilitated by Andrew Carroll, who has completed The Artist’s Way many times over and so has considerable experience of the course. Andrew is also a qualified faciliator, holding a Level 8 qualification in Group Arts Faciliation (Crawford/CIT). Andrew’s approach enhances the teachings of the book with insights from his own experiences as a Visual Artist and with imaginative explorations of the themes brought up in the book: ‘ideas taking flight’ is how we would convey this element of the course: through practical, creative exercises, themes from the book are brought to life in an way that can be directly experienced. 230euros. Maximum of 10 students. See here for more details
Saturday Workshops for Spring/Summer 2018:
- Basics of Perspective: Saturday 12th of May. Learn to draw and/or paint perspective. Bring along an image that involves perspective and gain an understanding of how to depict perspetival depth based on this real-life example.
- ‘Basics of Portrait Drawing’; Sat 26th of May ’18. Learn good technique in approaching acheiving a likeness in portraiture. EUR65, 11am-5pm.
- Painting Days: First Saturday of every month 11am-5pm, beginning again on 9th of June. Learn the basics of acrylic painting working from a photograph of your choice, or – if you are more experienced – use the session to work on a piece, with the odd ‘nudge’ from the tutor, who will circulate the classroom and have a look over your shoulder every now and again. EUR65 per Saturday. Parking EUR5 at Long’s Yard for the day.
- Painting From Your Core: every second Saturday beginning on 28th of April ’18. However, PFYC will be cancelled on 5th of May, due to unavoidable circumstances. Dates after that: 19th May, 2nd June, 16th June, 30th June, 14th July, 28th July. PFYC is an approach to developing both expression and imagery in a personal way, in paint. No previous art skills necessary – PYFC is more about developing an understanding of how to ‘get out of the way’ of your own creative process (see http://www.artclass.ie/cork-creative-expressive-painting for more nuanced decription of PFYC). Saturday 11am-5pm, EUR75.
- Proper Techniques in Oil Pastels: Saturday 23rd of June 11am – 6pm. Learn how to ‘drive’ with good habits with this physical and expressive medium, even in a detailed and refined way. EUR65.
- email us at the following address: email@example.com with any inquiries about the above, or to book.
Visions School of Art provide a number of Cork City Adult Art Classes, beginning with ‘Painting in Acrylics: beginners’ at their studio-classroom on Rutland St, Cork (near St. John’s College). If you are interested in attending one of these classes, please contact Andrew using the details on our contact page, here. Visions’ Cork City adult art classes will initially include ‘Creative In Nature’ (morning creativity workshops), ‘Painting In Acrylics’ and ‘Fundamentals of Life Drawing’. We may also initiate a Cork edition of our Painting Nights.
All classes at Visions are taught by Andrew Carroll BA MA Visual Arts Practice IADT Dun Laoghaire.
Cork City Adult Art Classes – Further Details:
- ‘Painting (in Acrylics)’ is a painting class that explores the fundamental methods for using ANY painting medium (it just so happens that this class is taught through Acrylics, which is the most versatile painting medium, as well as being the most vivid, as far as colour is concerned). By teaching the class through this straightforward method, Visions will enable you to take your hand to ANY painting medium with more confidence, once you have understood the basic tenets of how paint ‘works’. Find out more about this Painting class here.
- ‘Introduction to Life Drawing’ provides a great lead-in to the skill of Life Drawing, which is a basic tenet in enhanced artistic expression. Taking students from the very basics to slightly-more-advanced techniques, Visions will offer and experience of drawing from various types of Life Drawing maquettes and models, right up to drawing from a live model in the final few weeks. Find out more about the ‘Introduction to Life Drawing’ class here.
- although they are not classes as such, Visions is also considering the possibility of introducing Painting Nights to Cork City. Painting Nights are social evenings which are also an opportunity to explore creativity and imagination (wine, nibbles and lots of fun included!). Find out more about Painting Nights with Visions here.
What is the Rate for Cork City Adult Art Classes?
Students attending Visions’ Cork City art classes will be required to book ahead for each twelve-week cycle. Each cycle is €204 for our regular (drawing and painting) twelve 2-hour classes. Fees are non-refundable in the case that you miss a class (or a few classes for some reason or other), unless the student in question can present a doctor’s certificate.
Cork City Adult Art Classes Further Links:
- to see paintings by Andrew Carroll, the sole tutor at Visions School of Art, click here
- to learn more about the artistic discipline of Life Drawing, click here
- to see Vision’s YouTube Channel, that includes free painting lessons, click here