Cork City Adult Art Classes with Visions School of Art:
Courses/Workshops for Spring/Summer 2018:
- Life Drawing Practice Sessions: These sessions are currently quite full, but if you are interested in attending, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on a waiting-list (if there are no places available at time of contact). Mondays 7-9pm, Life model and timing provided, A3 (and some A2) drawing boards, clips, erasers. €65 per 5 sessions; you can also drop in for EUR20 – unemployed and students can drop-in for EUR10, upon presentation of a valid student/social services card, or they can pay EUR40 for the 5-session option, outlined above. Email to express interest: email@example.com. For more information on the sessions, click here. Please note that these sessions continue throughout the Summer months until August, and recommence in early September
- The Artist’s Way: (Based on the Book by Julia Cameron). Tuesday evenings 7-9pm. A 12-week course in ‘artistic recovery’ or unblocking, a revitalisation of participants’ personal creative proces. Next start date is 16th April 2019. However, as part of the Life Long Learning Festival, we will provide an introductory talk on The Artist’s Way on Thursday 11th of April 7-9pm. Please email to book a place at the talk. The group will be facilitated by Andrew Carroll, who has considerable experience of facilitating The Artist’s Way (9 courses so far). Andrew is also a qualified facilitator, holding a Level 8 qualification in Group Arts Facilitation (Crawford/CIT). Andrew’s approach enhances the teachings of the book with insights from his own experiences as a Visual Artist and with imaginative explorations of the themes brought up in the book: ‘ideas taking flight’ is how we would convey this element of the course: through practical, creative exercises, themes from the book are brought to life in an way that can be directly experienced. 230euros. Maximum of 9 students. See here for more details
- Tuesday Afternoon Painting in Acrylics 1 (Weekly Course): Tuesdays 2:30-4:30pm. Begins Tuesday 14th of May 2019. Suitable for complete beginners, this 8-week course will introduce participants to good habits and basic techniques in acrylic paint. Working from an image that each finds meaningful or inspirational, students will learn by first observing demonstrations at the beginning of each class, and then by ‘doing’, by trying out the specific step for that class. See here for more details. EUR130.
- Thursday Afternoon Oil Painting 1 (Weekly Course): Begins Thursday 16th of May 2019, 2:30-4:30pm. Suitable for complete beginners, this 8-week course will introduce participants to good habits and basic techniques in Oil paint. Working from an image that each finds meaningful or inspirational, students will learn by first observing demonstrations at the beginning of each class, and then by ‘doing’, by trying out the specific step for that class. See here for more details. EUR130.
- Evening Painting in Acrylics: Begins Wednesday 15th of May 2019, 7pm-9pm. Suitable for complete beginners, this 8-week course will introduce participants to good habits and basic techniques in acrylic paint. Working from an image that each finds meaningful or inspirational, students will learn by first observing demonstrations at the beginning of each class, and then by ‘doing’, by trying out the specific step for that class. See here for more details. EUR130.
Saturday Workshops for Autumn/Winter 2018:
- Painting Days: Next dates: 4th of May, 1st of June, 6th of July 2019. First Saturday of every month 11am-5pm. Learn the basics of acrylic painting working from a photograph of your choice, or – if you are more experienced – use the session to work on a piece, with the odd ‘nudge’ from the tutor, who will circulate the classroom and have a look over your shoulder every now and again. EUR65 per Saturday. Parking EUR5 at Long’s Yard for the day.
- Basics of Portrait-Drawing: Saturday 8th of June 2019. Learn from the very basics how to approach achieving a likeness in drawing someone’s portrait. 11am-5pm. EUR65. Parking EUR5 for the day at Long’s Yard.
- Basic and Proper Techniques in Oil Pastels: Saturday 15th June 2019. Oil Pastels are a quite physical medium that many would not associate with fine or detailed work; however, this is not necessarily so. They are also very unexplored in terms of proper techniques and materials, and can render colour in an intense manner unachievable in other drawing media. This workshop will introduce participants to thoroughly investigated dimensions of this sometimes undervalued medium. 11am-5pm. EUR65. Parking EUR5 for the day at Long’s Yard.
- Painting From Your Core: Once per quarter-year. Next date: 20th April 2019. PFYC is an approach to developing both expression and imagery in a personal way, in paint. No previous art skills necessary – PYFC is more about developing an understanding of how to ‘get out of the way’ of your own creative process (see http://www.artclass.ie/cork-creative-expressive-painting for more detailed decription of this approach). Saturday 11am-5pm, EUR75, including all materials – which are provided – and tea/coffee/biscuits. Parking EUR5 for the day at Long’s Yard.
- Introduction to Watercolour: Saturday 25th May 2019 11am-5pm. Suited to complete beginners. Watercolour is often considered to be a ‘difficult’ medium (it’s no more difficult than any other technique, in reality). You will get to understand this delicate medium by working from a photograph of your choice. Materials supplied. EUR65. Parking EUR5 at Long’s Yard for the day.
- Introduction to Oil Painting: Saturday 27th April 2019. This workshop will bring participants through the rudiments of oil painting, from making an under-drawing, to laying down a ground, to the practical and applied theory of how to lay down passages of oil paint in the proper manner. Materials supplied. EUR65. Parking EUR5 at Long’s Yard for the day.
- Colour Made Easy 1 & 2: Saturday 22nd June 2019. CME 1 (11am-1pm) = Introduction to the Colour Wheel and the various types of colour harmonies, RGB and CMYK colour, Visual Colour Mixing. CME 2: Beyond the Colour Wheel (2pm – 4pm) = the 7 types of colour contrast, spatial colour, colour-psychology and colour-identity. This workshop is taught through a projected presentation with plenty of practical examples, as well as physical demonstrations of some colour-mixing principles. It is suitable for ANYONE working in a visual discipline, from knitting to gardening, from painting to sculpture, interior design to architecture, etc. EUR60 for both workshops or EUR 35 for either.
- email us at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries about the above, or to book.
Visions School of Art provide a number of Cork City Adult Art Classes, beginning with ‘Painting in Acrylics: beginners’ at their studio-classroom on Rutland St, Cork (near St. John’s College). If you are interested in attending one of these classes, please contact Andrew using the details on our contact page, here. Visions’ Cork City adult art classes will initially include ‘Creative In Nature’ (morning creativity workshops), ‘Painting In Acrylics’ and ‘Fundamentals of Life Drawing’. We may also initiate a Cork edition of our Painting Nights.
All classes at Visions are taught by Andrew Carroll BA MA Visual Arts Practice IADT Dun Laoghaire.
Cork City Adult Art Classes – Further Details:
- ‘Painting (in Acrylics)’ is a painting class that explores the fundamental methods for using ANY painting medium (it just so happens that this class is taught through Acrylics, which is the most versatile painting medium, as well as being the most vivid, as far as colour is concerned). By teaching the class through this straightforward method, Visions will enable you to take your hand to ANY painting medium with more confidence, once you have understood the basic tenets of how paint ‘works’. Find out more about this Painting class here.
- ‘Introduction to Life Drawing’ provides a great lead-in to the skill of Life Drawing, which is a basic tenet in enhanced artistic expression. Taking students from the very basics to slightly-more-advanced techniques, Visions will offer and experience of drawing from various types of Life Drawing maquettes and models, right up to drawing from a live model in the final few weeks. Find out more about the ‘Introduction to Life Drawing’ class here.
- although they are not classes as such, Visions is also considering the possibility of introducing Painting Nights to Cork City. Painting Nights are social evenings which are also an opportunity to explore creativity and imagination (wine, nibbles and lots of fun included!). Find out more about Painting Nights with Visions here.
What is the Rate for Cork City Adult Art Classes?
Students attending Visions’ Cork City art classes will be required to book ahead for each twelve-week cycle. Each cycle is €204 for our regular (drawing and painting) twelve 2-hour classes. Fees are non-refundable in the case that you miss a class (or a few classes for some reason or other), unless the student in question can present a doctor’s certificate.
Cork City Adult Art Classes Further Links:
- to see paintings by Andrew Carroll, the sole tutor at Visions School of Art, click here
- to learn more about the artistic discipline of Life Drawing, click here
- to see Vision’s YouTube Channel, that includes free painting lessons, click here