Cork City Adult Art Classes with Visions School of Art:
Courses/Workshops for Spring/Summer 2018:
- Life Drawing Practice Sessions: Mondays 7-9pm, Life model and timing provided, as well as tea/coffee and biscuits, A3 (and some A2) drawing boards, clips, erasers. €50 per 5 sessions, to be taken within 6 weeks, for flexibility; you can also drop in for EUR20 – unemployed and students can drop-in for EUR10, upon presentation of a valid student/social services card, or they can pay EUR40 for the 5-session option, outlined above. Sessions can be joined at any time, provided there is space available – just email to inquire: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the sessions, click here. Please note that these sessions continue throughout the Summer months until 14th of August, and recommence in early September
- The Artist’s Way: (Based on the Book by Julia Cameron). Thursday evenings 7-9pm. A 12-week course in ‘artistic recovery’ or unblocking, a revitalisation of participants’ personal creative process. Next start date is 13th of Septermber ’18. The group will be facilitated by Andrew Carroll, who has completed The Artist’s Way many times over and so has considerable experience of the course. Andrew is also a qualified faciliator, holding a Level 8 qualification in Group Arts Faciliation (Crawford/CIT). Andrew’s approach enhances the teachings of the book with insights from his own experiences as a Visual Artist and with imaginative explorations of the themes brought up in the book: ‘ideas taking flight’ is how we would convey this element of the course: through practical, creative exercises, themes from the book are brought to life in an way that can be directly experienced. 230euros. Maximum of 10 students. See here for more details
- Tuesday Afternoon Painting in Acrylics 1 (Weekly Course): Tuesdays 2:30-4:30pm. Begins Tuesday 11th of September ’18. Suitable for complete beginners, this 8-week course will introduce participants to good habits and basic techniques in acrylic paint. Working from an image that each finds meaningful or inspirational, students will learn by first observing demonstrations at the beginning of each class, and then by ‘doing’, by trying out the specific step for that class. See here for more details. EUR130.
- Thursday Afternoon Oil Painting 1 (Weekly Course): Begins Thursday 13th September ’18, 2:30-430pm. Suitable for complete beginners, this 8-week course will introduce participants to good habits and basic techniques in Oil paint. Working from an image that each finds meaningful or inspirational, students will learn by first observing demonstrations at the beginning of each class, and then by ‘doing’, by trying out the specific step for that class. See here for more details. EUR130
- Evening Painting in Acrylics (Weekly Course): Begins Wednesday September 12th ’18, 7pm-9pm. Suitable for complete beginners, this 8-week course will introduce participants to good habits and basic techniques in acrylic paint. Working from an image that each finds meaningful or inspirational, students will learn by first observing demonstrations at the beginning of each class, and then by ‘doing’, by trying out the spefic step for that class. See here for more details. EUR130.
Saturday Workshops for Autumn 2018: (to be announced on Wednesday 8th of August ’18 – below are examples of past workshops that may reoccur in the Autumn – email to express interest)
- Painting Days: First Saturday of every month 11am-5pm, beginning again on 15th of September (late because of Summer holidays). Learn the basics of acrylic painting working from a photograph of your choice, or – if you are more experienced – use the session to work on a piece, with the odd ‘nudge’ from the tutor, who will circulate the classroom and have a look over your shoulder every now and again. EUR65 per Saturday. Parking EUR5 at Long’s Yard for the day.
- Basics of Portrait-Drawing: Saturday 20th of October ’18. Learn from the very basics how to approach achieving a likeness in drawing someone’s portrait. 11am-5pm. EUR65. Parking EUR5 for the day at Long’s Yard.
- Painting From Your Core: Once per quarter-year. Next date: 25th August ’18. PFYC is an approach to developing both expression and imagery in a personal way, in paint. No previous art skills necessary – PYFC is more about developing an understanding of how to ‘get out of the way’ of your own creative process (see http://www.artclass.ie/cork-creative-expressive-painting for more detailed decription of this approach). Saturday 11am-5pm, EUR75, including all materials – which are provided – and tea/coffee/biscuits. Parking EUR5 for the day at Long’s Yard.
- Colour Made Easy 1: Harmonies and the Colour-Wheel: a thorough outline of the basics of colour harmonies using the colour wheel. Saturday 22nd September, 2pm – 4:30pm. Topics include complimentary colour-schemes, triadic colour-schemes, split-complimentary schemes, colour dischord, tone and colour, etc. EUR45. Parking EUR1 at Long’s Yard.
- Colour Made Easy 2: Beyond the Colour Wheel: Saturday 29th of September 2pm – 4:30pm. Go beyond colour harmonies and the colour wheel to discover various other aspects, such as the 7 Colour Contrasts, clashing-colours and even a little colour-psychology! EUR45. If you took ‘Colour Made Easy 1, this workshop is only EUR35. Parking EUR1 at Long’s Yard.
- Introduction to Oil Painting: Saturday 13th of October 11am-5pm. Suited to complete beginners. Learn from the very basics how to use Oil Paint, often considered to be a ‘difficult’ medium (it’s no more challenging than any other painting medium, in reality). You will get to understand this rich medium by working from a photograph of your choice. EUR65 per Saturday. A budget but quality materials list will be sent out before the workshop – this helps participants to commit to learning to work in oil paint. Parking EUR5 at Long’s Yard for the day.
- Introduction to Watercolour: Saturday 27th of October 11am-5pm. Suited to complete beginners. Watercolour is often considered to be a ‘difficult’ medium (it’s no more difficult than any other technique, in reality). You will get to understand this delicate medium by working from a photograph of your choice. EUR65 per Saturday. A budget but quality materials list will be sent out before the workshop – this helps participants to commit to learning to work in Watercolour. Parking EUR5 at Long’s Yard for the day.
- email us at the following address: email@example.com with any inquiries about the above, or to book.
Visions School of Art provide a number of Cork City Adult Art Classes, beginning with ‘Painting in Acrylics: beginners’ at their studio-classroom on Rutland St, Cork (near St. John’s College). If you are interested in attending one of these classes, please contact Andrew using the details on our contact page, here. Visions’ Cork City adult art classes will initially include ‘Creative In Nature’ (morning creativity workshops), ‘Painting In Acrylics’ and ‘Fundamentals of Life Drawing’. We may also initiate a Cork edition of our Painting Nights.
All classes at Visions are taught by Andrew Carroll BA MA Visual Arts Practice IADT Dun Laoghaire.
Cork City Adult Art Classes – Further Details:
- ‘Painting (in Acrylics)’ is a painting class that explores the fundamental methods for using ANY painting medium (it just so happens that this class is taught through Acrylics, which is the most versatile painting medium, as well as being the most vivid, as far as colour is concerned). By teaching the class through this straightforward method, Visions will enable you to take your hand to ANY painting medium with more confidence, once you have understood the basic tenets of how paint ‘works’. Find out more about this Painting class here.
- ‘Introduction to Life Drawing’ provides a great lead-in to the skill of Life Drawing, which is a basic tenet in enhanced artistic expression. Taking students from the very basics to slightly-more-advanced techniques, Visions will offer and experience of drawing from various types of Life Drawing maquettes and models, right up to drawing from a live model in the final few weeks. Find out more about the ‘Introduction to Life Drawing’ class here.
- although they are not classes as such, Visions is also considering the possibility of introducing Painting Nights to Cork City. Painting Nights are social evenings which are also an opportunity to explore creativity and imagination (wine, nibbles and lots of fun included!). Find out more about Painting Nights with Visions here.
What is the Rate for Cork City Adult Art Classes?
Students attending Visions’ Cork City art classes will be required to book ahead for each twelve-week cycle. Each cycle is €204 for our regular (drawing and painting) twelve 2-hour classes. Fees are non-refundable in the case that you miss a class (or a few classes for some reason or other), unless the student in question can present a doctor’s certificate.
Cork City Adult Art Classes Further Links:
- to see paintings by Andrew Carroll, the sole tutor at Visions School of Art, click here
- to learn more about the artistic discipline of Life Drawing, click here
- to see Vision’s YouTube Channel, that includes free painting lessons, click here